Handicapping enables golfers of differing skill levels to play equitably together- a vital and important component in the overall golf experience. As the authorized golf association and central handicapping authority in Minnesota, the MGA strives to uphold these values:
- Peer Review - Golf clubs issuing Handicap Indexes® must have a minimum of 10 members, and members must have a regular opportunity to play golf together
- Score Posting - Each golfer will post every acceptable round for peer review
- Rules of Golf - Golfers must follow the Rules of Golf when posting scores for handicap purposes.
- Frequency of Revision of a Handicap Index - Golf Clubs issuing Handicap Indexes® must follow the MGA’s score-posting season. A player's Handicap Index will be revised and updated the day after a score is posted.
- Handicap Chairperson - Golf Clubs issuing Handicap Indexes® must have an appointed Handicap Chairperson to work with all handicap-related issues.
- Club Licensing - All member clubs and clubs affiliated with the MGA for handicap administration purposes are required to attend an education seminar and complete a quiz demonstrating knowledge of the new Rules of Handicapping.